The platform for optics
A brief History of Glasses - Pending
A brief History of Contact Lenses - Pending
2004 – Online ordering
The roots of the business involved selling contact-lenses online, focusing on the following key aspects:
- Top quality products and brands.
- Highly competitive pricing.
- Convenient purchasing and reordering through the web.
- A passion for service.
- Caring staff.
2008 – The eyebuddy® concept is born
The eyebuddy® concept was born, registered and entered for a patent along with a number of other original ideas, such as our PD Measurement Tool within our eyeTry-on.
2009 – eyebuddy® offering enormous choice to customers
eyebuddy® was launched. We decided to use our enormous product database, which contains over 200,000 products to start supplying a large number of them online to customers. We felt we would be able to differentiate from our competitors through the following means:
- selling one of the largest ranges in the world of quality and real designer glasses, sunglassesand contact lenses.
- having most of the products available in stock through stores and encourage repeat custom.
- using our enormous experience of customer service to ensure that we stay ahead of the competition.
- using out expertise in optometry to provide advice, innovation and total quality control.
- being able to negotiate the best prices from suppliers with our existing purchasing power and strong relationships.
- using the power of the buddy functionality with eyebuddy® to significantly reduce marketing expenditure to help save customers a further 20% (with 5 emails) to 40% off the price of all products they buy through eyebuddy®.
2010 – The eyebuddy® concept expands
The buddy concept appeared popular ensuring customers can always get the best deal for what they are looking for. In 2010 the eyebuddy customer base and purchasing grew signficantly thanks mainly to recommendations by existing customers to their friends and family.
2012-2013 – eyebuddy's intelligent search
Searching for 1000's of different products across 100's of brands presents a challenge for any online retailer. In order to try and assist users in finding the product(s) best suited to them, in 2011 eyebuddy launched a new search, which provides two easy ways to find products.
The first is to simply enter the required product and/or product ID in the free text box at the top. The Product ID of frames can usually be found on the inside of one of the arms of the frame. In the search, products with an exact match appear below the text entered so these can be selected OR it is possible to simply choose to search for the term searched for in one of the following 4 categories: Glasses, Sunglasses, Contacts or Accessories. Once on the search page, it is easy to filter the search further, such as by Product Type, Price, Frame Type, Brand, Size, Gender and free text search. Search results are displayed clearly with ordering options and viewing preferences.
Feedback on eyebuddy's search has suggested a much improved customer experience with it being far easier to find products quickly and, of course, still with the greatest discounts available. Searching for glasses, sunglasses and contact lenses has never been easier.